How to protect flexible circuit board
Due to the flexibility of the FPC flexible circuit board, it is easy to break when subjected to pressure, so FPC protection requires some special methods.
Common methods are:
1. The minimum radius of the inner corner on the flexible profile is 1.6 mm. The larger the radius, the higher the reliability and the stronger the tear resistance. At the corners of the shape, lines near the edge of the board can be added to prevent the FPC from being torn.
2. The crack or groove on the FPC must end with a circular hole with a diameter of not less than 1.5 mm, which is also necessary when the two adjacent parts of the FPC need to be moved separately.
3. In order to obtain better flexibility, it is necessary to select a curved area in a uniform width area, and as far as possible in the curved area FPC width changes and trace density uneven.
4. Stiffener, also known as stiffener, is mainly used to obtain external support. The materials used are PI, polyester, glass fiber, polymer material, aluminum, steel, etc. Reasonable design of the position, area and material of the reinforcing plate has a great effect on avoiding FPC tearing.
5. In the multilayer flex PCB design, the air gap layered design needs to be performed in the areas that are often bent during product use. Try to use thin material PI material to increase FPC softness and prevent FPC from breaking during repeated bending.
6. When space permits, a double-sided adhesive fixing area should be designed at the joint between the gold finger and the connector to prevent the gold finger and the connector from falling off during the bending process.
7. The FPC positioning screen should be designed at the connection between the FPC and the connector to prevent the FPC from being skewed during the flexible pcb assembly process.